Wednesday, October 28, 2009

4 Days - Finding inspiration in strange places.

4 days to Nanowrimo!

So this post is about finding inspiration in odd places. Two years ago, my husband and I walked into an IHOP 9:00 on a Tuesday night. The doors were open, the lights were on, but there was no one in the restaurant to greet us. We heard some noises in the kitchen and called out. Eventually, a waitress came to seat us. But that was what inspired me to create my 2007 nan novel, A Roll of the Dice.

Today, I was driving home and found myself behind someone in a small late 80's early 90's car. The car was at least two car lengths behind the car ahead of it, and going so slow that I was only able to do 30 in a 45 zone. He was in the right lane, so I simply went around him. But still, he was going really really slow. I thought he might be taking the cutoff, but he didn't. My guess is that he was looking for an address. I've encountered it a time or two driving home, though generally they don't drive that slow.

I turned off the main road, and the white car followed me up the hill, but it soon disappeared from view. I started thinking about my 2009 nano novel, and decided to add a part where the MC passes a slow moving car, and soon realizes that this car was intercepting them to follow them. A car chase ensues, perhaps ending with the MC being boxed in and getting a warning to back off.

So stories and plot devices are out there. Just keep your eyes and ears open at all times. :)

2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember something about your 2007. Did you come to the kickoff and talk about a bunch or roleplayers who were gaming at a Denny's or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did indeed. And they were gaming at a pizza parlor. Rather ironic, because I'm going to be gaming at a pizza parlor in Vancouver in 14 days. :)

    ReplyDelete