Thursday, October 29, 2009

Going Into It

Let me preface this by stating that this is the first year I will actually be able to attempt this without being interrupted by work. As such, take any advice I might dispense with whatever amount of skepticism you see fit, considering it is all coming from a newbie. That said, I shall endeavor to limit my advice to previous experience in writing rather than this particular event. Most of my posts, such as this one, will not be to offer advice, but rather to state some of the challenges I face along the way in this process.

I think that the greatest challenge I am facing at this point in the game is the desire to actually write in the novel I plan on writing next month before the month starts. I think this stems from my having thought out what I want to write so far before I can actually allow myself to commit any of it to type. This is both frustrating and interesting at the same time. Frustrating for all of the obvious reasons, and interesting as this is the first time in my life where I have not been able to immediately transcribe my thoughts upon their occurrence. Whether this will be better for the novel's coherence or not I will not know until I get to the review process on the other end. I do suspect, however, that this forced pause between imagination and composition might actually instigate some measure of ponderance on the subject matter I intend to address. It has certainly given me generous opportunity for research which I rarely do beforehand.

I am unsure if I will be able to complete the goals of the competition as stated, as I really cannot imagine writing without some manner of review along the way, given the nature, tone, and complexity of the subject matter of the novel. If it were of a lighter nature, perhaps in a farcical style, I could imagine not taking it seriously enough to simply flow through fifty thousand words without regard to measure, continuity, and pace. As it is, I am struggling with myself over the concept of creative literary abandon. I realize that that is indeed one of the stated intents, to force authors to simply push themselves to produce quantity at risk of quality, but the snobbish artistic side of me demands that I do both or forsake the quantity if it at all compromises the quality. Obviously, this is a conflict I will be confronting as next month progresses.

Toward the purpose of preserving quality, I have set about pre-plotting the entire story in my head. I know that many, such as Nibo, would suggest an outline, but I have never excelled at writing about what I want to write, or writing about what I have written. While I know that outlines, even extensive ones of thousands of words, might help, I find myself unable to conjure up more than a seventy-one word summary. My issue is, I would much prefer to write a book than write about a book. An issue I have had since high-school book reports. However, I have no problem weaving the scenario of the book in my head, as long as I do not have to commit it to paper in any other form than the final product. I have run into this problem a few times before when trying to compile my extant writings into book form. I could not work up a short summary for the book cover or the inner jacket to save my life, despite having written the stories contained within it.

Another problem I am facing is, while I have written a lot since childhood, the longest completed work I have ever authored was just shy of twenty thousand words. The daunting goal for next month is more than twice that. I have written stories that long, but they have never been completed. I am certain I do not want to start a work with that as an acceptable outcome. As such, I am determined to finish the novel I start next month, somehow.

2 comments:

  1. As stated before, I believe that outlines are a personal decision. I self-identify as an outliner (with an outlining problem!). Many I know, however, are completely unable to make such an identification.

    As a veteran NaNo'er with both good and bad manuscripts behind me, I'll give you some things that came into my head while reading your post.

    (1) Keep a notebook. Not really to write about what you're writing, but more as a continuity assitant. If you think that you're going to have problems with the inner editor screaming bloody murder over quantity instead of quality, try to figure out where your quality controls will get in the way and come up with methods to head them off. I usually keep a little notebook (online) of character descriptions and tags as a way to make sure I'm not screwing things up. It's also a good place to do chapter-by-chapter synopses as you write them so you know what you've written alrady and where to go back to see if something's going to fit.

    (2) EVERY novel needs an edit and rewrite. I don't care how good a writer you are, it needs one (as you mentioned earlier). With this in mind, a good way to head off the inner editor is with some formatting tricks. Write a chapter/paragraph/anything that you know needs particular work? Color code it with a digital highlighter. That way, in December and beyond, you know exactly what needs what kind of work and it'll be easier to edit.

    (3) I find that the organic flow of NaNoWriMo tends to make much of my work better. I find things in the work that I wouldn't have found if I were ponderously poring over it with a fine toothed comb as it was written. Allow the first draft to be not a manuscript in your mind, but a brainstorm for your novel in long form. You'll likely find scenes, characters, and plots that you had no idea were going to be in there and are better than you would have dreamed up because your brain was relaxed enough to let them float to the surface.

    Just my $.02

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren (nibo),

    Thank you for the feedback, it is useful. I was not, however, trying to indicate that outlines are necessary, only that they were not a useful outlet for me in my attempts to avoid writing the novel as opposed to supporting material. I will try the methods you have described above to see if they work with my mental framework. I have heard of movie productions using such a continuity book to keep things straight. That might be helpful.

    I definitely agree with your point #2. Anyone who does not think their novel, or other writing, needs at least one revision is either naive or a muse incarnate.

    I am sincerely hoping that point #3 is true, as it would be most beneficial to future projects as well.

    ReplyDelete