Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Last Post of October 2009

I am writing this post in the very last hour of October for two reasons. One, because I really need to talk some things out and what better place to do it? And two, because I can't seem to do anything else whilst waiting to write that first line of prose tonight at midnight. I'm sure most of you are off having fun talking plots and characters and settings at the midnight write in and I wish I was there, but perhaps next year.

Today, I kind of had a mini-freak out. This is because I realized that I have absolutely no idea what my book is going to be able. I mean, I know the very, very, very basics of it, but I don't actually know what the conflict is, let alone how it's going to resolve itself. After two or three stress filled hours of frantically trying to string a plot together, I realized that that's exactly what NaNoWriMo is about: writing something, even if you have no idea where it's going. Let your characters take you where there going to go.

Literary abandon. That's the journey we're about to embark on and I'm sure I feel exactly like the pilgrims coming over on their boat, this time so many, many years ago. That epic excitement of what is to come and yet the apprehension of not really knowing where you're headed, just knowing you're headed to somewhere great.

Have an awesome and fantastic November writers and don't let any thing getting in the way of making it to the top! See you at the finish line (and several places in between).

No comments:

Post a Comment