Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dot's intro

NaNo Screenname: dot. (oooh, I love originality)
Role: writer
Novel genre: 2008 was literary fiction, ghost story, mystery, lesbian/gay; 2009 : probably mystery, adventure, lesbian (since I don't have a plot or characters, I can't really say!)
Location: SE Portland (Mt Tabor/Montavilla area)
Goals: to be winner before the Seattle Marathon, where I'll be walking the half marathon, on November 29th.

This is my second NaNoWriMo. Last year I became a winner the day before Thanksgiving. I had, I think, 56,001 words by midnight November 30th. I completed the novel on December 1st with another 3,000 words in that one day.

Come to think of it, it's funny that I didn't have a plot, characters, setting - anything - when I opened my laptop at midnight on November 1st -- and I didn't have an ending at midnight on November 30th.

But, see, it all came together! And I'm very pleased with my ending and like the storyline in the rest of it.

Right now, to prepare for November, I am *not* making an outline or researching characters or periods or anything. I like the surprise of seeing who shows up at the beginning. I will, again, be armed with my word bag (thanks to Ariel Gore) and a list of prompts (thanks to my Write Around Portland facilitator training) just in case nothing comes to me at the magic 12:01 AM time.

To prepare for November I *am* blocking out time in my work schedule. I sent some proposed dates for getting together to write with my writing buddy so we can have it on our books and not forget to do it. Actually, she and I met during the 2008 nano-adventure. And I did arrange to go up to Seattle 2 days before the marathon so I have time to not only relax and view the course and do all the other things I need to do two days before, but also to give myself time to write by being away from work and home and all of the distractions which tempt me away from my writing. I will also be staying in Seattle until Monday afternoon - either hastily typing away to cross the nano finish line or basking in the glory of being done!

Oh - and I think I'm going to take the train up and back so that I don't lose those precious 7 hours of writing. Which reminds me, I need to see if there are electrical outlets on the train. Hmm?

I'm not doing any writing training right now, other than being in my 4th Lit Star Training writing course with Ariel Gore and by writing weekly with the Write Around Portland group I am facilitating.

I will also be doing postings on my website as things go along from now until November 30th! Some of them will be duplicates and many will not. Last year's nanoposts are archived. If you want to take a look, I'm at The Writing Vein.

1 comment:

  1. If I remember correctly, there are definitely outlets as long as you take a train and not the through bus. You might have to go to the dining car, but you can find outlets. Personally, I pray to the gods of netbook and am blessed with long lasting battery life.

    ReplyDelete