Thursday, October 8, 2009

Atalanta's Intro

NaNo Screenname: Atalanta
Novel genre: Science Fiction
Location: SW Portland
Goals: 50k + sanity intact

My name is Mel and this will be my sixth NaNoWriMo. I was a Municipal Liaison in Western New York (Bath/Hornell) for two years and moderated the Newbies Forum as well. I moved to Portland last spring and absolutely love it here -- and look forward to another blessedly rainy winter.

I'm not technically supposed to be doing NaNoWriMo this year -- I made a big deal out of quitting after 2008 -- but I just couldn't stay away. Instead I've decided to use the motivation to push through my intimidation at writing sci-fi in long-form for the first time (astrophysics and quantum-particles being a tad more complex than the swords and magic horses I'm used to working with).

So, here I am with half a plot about a misanthropic scientist at a research facility in orbit around a neutron star. There will be intrigue, suspense, shocking revelations... and hopefully at least one truly spectacular explosion.

Alas, I won't be writing any of it at the local coffee-house write-ins. I could possibly borrow a laptop, but the idea of trying to write surrounded by so many distractions doesn't appeal to me at all. Instead I'll make an effort to show up to at least one of the meet-and-greets planned for this month, probably in the Beaverton area -- that is, if I can overcome my own inner misanthrope.

I'm also part of the AIM NaNo Circle for virtual support (non-local), if anyone wants to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment