Monday, October 19, 2009

Odd Looks and Look Backs

I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned this (I've been busy the past week or so and I haven't had chance to catch up on the recent blog pots), but I'd like to talk about talking about NaNoWriMo.

Last year being my first year, I not only had to figure what exactly I was doing in this crazy month of insane writing, but also the explaining of what exactly it was I was doing to those closet to me. Two of my best friends I recruited to writing, so that wasn't hard. The hardest thing was my parents and brother: the people that are around me most of the time. The ones who didn't know where I was for 30 days. My routine became wake up, write some before heading off to school in the morning, writing in between classes and any free period I had, coming home doing a fair-to-midland job in my homework and just writing for the rest of the evening before dragging myself to bed at all hours of the night. TV shows went unwatched, dinner was shoveled in at record speeds, and a fair amount of snapping on my part went on.

Because I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo about three days before it actually started (I actually didn't even know it existed, much less something I'd want to do, until the middle of October 2008), not only was I unprepared, but so was my family and everyone around me. This year, I've had a year to prepare and everyone knows what I'll be doing in November (my parents decided it would be a good idea to include this in the Christmas letter they sent out. That was a nice holiday of answering novel related questions) and I'm more mentally prepared instead of the freak out I was having on Halloween whilst handing out candy. I know what my story is about, I have a pretty strong bond with my characters already even though they've spoken not a word, and it's not as spur of the moment.

The only thing I feel I'm ill-prepared for is the onslaught of odd looks I'll be receiving throughout the month from classmates. I know that I'm one of the youngest members of this blog, but you've all been there right?Most of the time, I'm so "into" what I'm doing that I don't may attention to anything around me, but it's those few moments when my teacher calls me to attention that I hear the snickering and see the gaping. It's like when I bring Harry Potter to school, but that's a different story. Hopefully I'll be able to ignore them and brush it off like I do with the Potter stuff, but you never know.

*sigh* I'm sorry for that rant. I just felt like I needed to post something and that's what my thinking about, NaNoWriMo wise, at the moment.

Till next time: Have a lovely day.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps work into your October prepping a little blurb you can say to people when they ask. Possibly, also a sign for your laptop or to wear around your neck at school that says something like, "Don't Disturb. I'm writing a novel. When was the last time YOU were this cool?"

    I remember being in school and getting the strange looks that always say, "What on earth are you doing?! Why are you spend all of this time on something that doesn't matter? How do you even find the time?" And if I deigned them worthy of reply, I'd usually just say that it was only for a month and I thought it was really important. Anyway, all I was missing out on was random internet surfing and watching stupid TV shows. The world DOES go on without those things, after all.

    ReplyDelete