Saturday, October 10, 2009

recruiting

Is anyone else recruiting? I am!

I have one returning NaNo-er convinced and she's coming along with me. Jenny and I met last year during NaNo (she's the one I met through our mutual connection of Ariel Gore) - and we've been writing together since. It started slow, our meeting to write - kids, work, schedules, working out/training, home. Later we aimed to meet weekly - which we do for a while, then it drops off when one of us adds something else into our schedule or a job comes up (darn that money making necessity!). But we are doing regular meet-ups and have recently added a third person to our group. Jenny is just finishing up a new draft of last year's nanonovel (go, Jenny!) and I get to read it - yay. So, unless something changes between now and November 1st, Jenny will be along with me.

There is another writer I met through Ariel and NaNo last year, who I think is going to do it, again, too - Christi. She's still a little undecided, I think - but it would be great to have her along for the ride. She's not local - so we won't be meeting in person; although we have set up an online writing group with Jenny and the third person who sometimes joins Jenny and I.

I tried to recruit Steve. A friend and writer and we share our income generating profession, as well. He replied to my question the next morning with "I don't like to use the F-bomb before 10 AM. No. But I'll be here to cheer you on." It was a long shot, since linguistics is his thing and he is a writer who searches for the precise word - each and every one of them - pretty much on the first draft. But I thought I'd try.

Alexander is the third person who sometimes meets with me and Jenny. Actually, Alexander and I also share the money-producing profession. And Alexander and I have known each other many years. We have met to talk about writing and done some writing together in the past - we never really got it to a regular schedule and sometimes go months without seeing each other. But he may also be joining us in the pursuit of a nanonovel. His primary thing is film and radio script, although he also does incredible short story work. I hope he makes the leap and I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

I also tried to bring in Suzanne. But she thinks she can't write. She wants to write but hasn't done any creative writing for a very long time. I know she can. And I think she'd be great at nano-ing. And she's currently between jobs so she's got the time. I don't know if she'll jump in the nanopool or not - but I'll try her again in a week or two.

Who are you recruiting?

2 comments:

  1. Have attempted to recruit several friends, but not really managing to do that. Got a friend in Victoria to agree to do it this year and she's really excited about it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've talked about it in forums. Don't think I have brought anyone in by that who wasn't already in it. ^^;

    ReplyDelete