Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Creepy-Crawly

Down to a crawl. I got a little over 1100 words written yesterday, so about 500 short of the daily goal. I've been trying to get 2000 words a day. I'm still marginally ahead of where I'd be at a steady pace of 1667 words per day, so not too bad but I'm starting to fear falling into a repeat of last year's outcome.

I knew eventually I was going to write this book as it's intended to be the prequel to the novel I was working on before I started the vampire novel, but I had done almost no planning for it, had the barest idea of a couple of characters, the setting. Now I'm struggling to get acquainted with the characters and I have so much research I'm going to have to go back and do later when there's time. Right now I'm just focusing on word count, and wow is this bad! I'm taking Chris Baty's suggestion of putting anything I'm going to take out later in bold italics but not actually deleting it. I figure if he says it's fair game, I'm good with it. I already know some scenes will be deleted in toto, the storyline may change, some conversations that are in there now will never see the light of day.

But that's ok. I'll just keep creeping along while I'm getting to know my characters, and it's all part of the process. Although, I really need to have a chat with female MC 'cause sometimes I just want to smack her.

No comments:

Post a Comment