Saturday, November 7, 2009

Out the starting gate

It was a dark and stormy Sunday night. Well, not so stormy but it was night. I was excited. My laptop charged. My office doors closed and locked from any intrusion. With iTunes on I began to write. Slowly at first, then quicker as I remembered my Inner Editor was safely on vacation in the "kennels" and could not return until December 1st.

My characters took over. They brought friends I didn't know. Showed me places I had not planned for them to go. My MC changed the color of his hair. I met his parents, took a walk through his university. My wrists hurt, but I continued on, had to reach 1667 words that night.

The following evening was more of the same. I sat back and transcribed the story they told me, interjected a few of my own opinions and plans, and carried on. In a blink I was over 5K. Woot! I was out of the starting gate going strong.

And that is where I fell flat on my face.

I left my office abandoned for one night, and then two. I knew better, honestly. I have no excuse, I don't know what happened. Now they stare at me on the other side of the door, faces pinched and scowling. "Where have you been?" they seem to say. You flaked! You left us and we grew bored. We are wandering with no where to go, and now you must find us again.

Sigh, I will not hang my head in shame this year! I will get back in there, find my dear characters and set them back on their paths.

I am going now...to my office. To my story, their story. Thank you for the opportunity to be accountable. I vow to post my progress each day!

2 comments:

  1. The hardest thing I can think of is taking a couple of days off and trying to find your way back. Good luck, intrepid transcriber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind as well, so I'm also scrounging around for a little motivation. Good luck to us both.

    ReplyDelete