Monday, November 9, 2009

Writing Itself

Every year of NaNo is a little bit different. Some years, the novel writes itself. I sit down at the computer and the words flow forthlike a fountain of literature tapped at the tip of each finger. Some years, I fight tooth and nail for every single word! They refuse to be written! The wish nothing more than to remain in the darkened confines of my mind-corners, precisely where I have instructed them that they are not allowed!

I have a feeling that, if I was aiming for the normal 1,667, this novel would be writing itself. Well, maybe. See, Mags was only supposed to stay in the Cheyenne camp for 3,000 words and instead hung around for almost 10,000 words (oh my goodness was I bored by the end of that, but she was having a great time!). Thank goodness that 10,000 words is really only about three days or writing at this insane double-pace.

I'm sitting a little over 25,000 words right now. That's about 25% of my goal for the month. I've barely started what I thought was going to be the "plot" of my novel. Mags, my MC, is nowhere near even finding out that there is a particular bad guy to hunt down. She's still in the States, for goodness sake, instead of London where she ought to be by now! The original outline said that Chapter 8 should have had her on her way to London! I'm at Chapter 8, but she only just got to Boston and there's a lot that's been going on that I hadn't planned for the little scamp! Where's my quirky professor and love interest and villain intrigue? They're all in London! Probably somewhere around 35k, still three days away at this pace.

Let me tell you, when I finally get her to London, Ms. Magdalena Crane is going to get a serious talking to! She's not allowed to do things like this without my express permission and she absolutely didn't get that before running off to a Cheyenne camp for 10k or sleeping with one of her co-workers back at the saloon.

Okay, I have a lot of writing to do before the day is out. Thank goodness my visiting fiancee is understanding and lets me write as much as I need before paying any attention to her!

1 comment:

  1. Persnickety Mags! Good luck reigning her in and congrats on the 25K! I'm sure the write in tonight will help you boost that too.
    I didn't feel up for traffic tonight (I'm up in NoPo), so I won't be joining you, but I'm sending my best plot-bunny vibes your way...may your words be plenty and may they take you to London!

    ReplyDelete